DIY Natural Skincare Products for Sensitive Skin: Recipes and Tips
Taking care of your skin is important, especially when you have sensitive skin. Many commercial products contain harsh chemicals and fragrances that can irritate you. But fear not, you can still take care of it with natural products that are gentle and effective. In this article, we’ll share some recipes and tips for DIY natural products for sensitive skin.
Oil cleansing is a popular method for removing makeup and impurities from the skin without stripping it of its natural oils. This cleansing oil recipe is gentle enough for sensitive skin and can be customized to your type.
1/4 cup carrier oil (such as jojoba, grapeseed, or sweet almond oil)
2-3 drops essential oil (optional)
1 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
- Mix the carrier oil, essential oil, and vitamin E oil (if using) in a small jar or bottle.
- To use, apply a small amount of the oil to your face and massage gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Wet a washcloth with warm water and gently wipe away the oil and any impurities.
A toner helps to balance the pH of your skin and prep it for moisturizer. This gentle toner recipe uses chamomile tea and witch hazel, both of which are soothing for sensitive skin.
1/2 cup chamomile tea, cooled
1/4 cup witch hazel
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Brew the chamomile tea and let it cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooled tea with witch hazel and apple cider vinegar (if using).
- Pour the mixture into a bottle or jar and apply to your face with a cotton pad after cleansing.
A face serum is a concentrated treatment that can help to nourish and hydrate your skin. This DIY serum is made with rosehip oil, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to reduce redness.
1/4 cup rosehip oil
10 drops of lavender essential oil
5 drops frankincense essential oil
- Mix the rosehip oil and essential oils in a small bottle or jar.
- Apply a small amount of the serum to your face after cleansing and toning.
Tips for Natural Skincare
- Patch test new products. Before using new natural skincare products for sensitive skin, test it on a small area of skin to make sure you don’t have a reaction.
- Avoid harsh ingredients. Look for natural products that are free of fragrances, parabens, and sulfates, which can irritate you.
- Use gentle exfoliants. Exfoliating can help to remove dead cells and improve their texture, but harsh scrubs can damage sensitive skin. Try using a gentle exfoliating product, such as a Konjac sponge or enzyme-based exfoliant.
- Don’t over-wash your face. Overwashing your face can strip your skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. Stick to cleansing your face once or twice a day.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun exposure can cause damage to sensitive skin, so it’s important to wear sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and avoid direct sunlight during peak hours.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water can help to keep you hydrated and healthy.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can cause stress and inflammation in the body, which can lead to skin issues. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night to keep your skin looking its best.
In conclusion, natural products can be gentle and effective. By making your own products at home, you can control the ingredients and avoid harsh chemicals that can irritate you. With these DIY recipes and tips, you can take care of your sensitive skin in a natural and safe way.